Sunday, February 12, 2012


This is an old vintage picture of me from the end of the last century Maybe 1999 or so. I had just moved to Dalhart TX. Had a new life and was playing in my shop with some of my old things. The stump I ma sitting in front of cam from an elk hunting trip looking for that perfect stump for my new anvil. Well new old. It is an old Vulcan anvil and has the arm holding a hammer logo image cast into it. I cut the side of this stump and formed and shelf bench and drilled larger holes in it to fit many tools I use.
To fit the anvil its self I router-ed a cavity in the top the anvil fits down into so it stays put. A little big for jewelry maybe. But I also work on my own tools I make to make jewelry with from using found objects in metal. If you look close Under my hands you will notice my anticlastic forming tool I made from an old tapered tent stake I found up in Seattle in an antique store. In front of the anvil is an original Dixon forming stake. Mounted in the anvil is an old vintage Dixon forming stake. Looking at the end of it width is over a foot. To my right and lower is an old 1888 casting mark anvil that I am restoring refitting for jewelry use. To my left is an old, only one I have ever seen, floor mounted cast iron shoe makers tool. I refitted for use on large objects like a large cuff bracelet to form. It tilts and allows many angles. I mounted a bracelet mandrel in it.
And also many tools on the shelf and wall . This is only the start as this is not my metal forming area this is my soldering bench and what I roll to around on my chair for quick access, this is only my soldering area and quick access to an anvil or something while soldering. My version of what a bench jeweler has on his tiny bench. A bench jeweler works on micro amounts of metal. I am a silver smith and need much more space as I work on many ounces of silver at a time. My silver come in 6 inches x 36 inches so just my shear is mounted in another area next to my rolling mill. Much much more to come on the inside of my studio tour.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love that stump!!!! I want a large anvil! I must comb through antique stores and flea markets until I find one! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Val~

    ReplyDelete